Disability Law

Is there any law for food allergy kids now?

Yes, three federal laws. This is a brief and simple explanation. More detailed explanations are found on the below listed web addresses. Specific questions should be directed to your attorney. The Chicago Bar Association has a Lawyer Referral Service. See

Increase Resource Funding

FAI suggests contacting the members of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education as they vote on federal medical research funding. The House of Representatives has a similar committee which votes on the same funding.

Contact Representative Jesse Jackson and Senator Richard Durbin to tell them to increase funding. Email Robert Pacenza, Executive Director of Food Allergy Initiative, for more information.

USDA Forms

If your school received ANY money from the federal government, then it has to comply with the United States Department of Agriculture Guidelines (USDA). The Guidelines require, that if your child cannot eat what is being served, then the school needs to make a substitution. BUT, you need to fill out a form.

The website below gets you to the guidelines and the form.

Go to page 41 on the Guidelines. Download Figure 1. This form is essentially a dietary order that your doctor will fill out. Then give it to the school and your child will receive a substitute food.

If you have ANY questions, then call the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Nutrition Programs & Support Services.

The people are very helpful. The number is: 217-782-2491.